Thursday, July 22, 2010

Our new dalmation

Today was an enforced stay-at-home day. Whew! This is a good thing. Paloma has chickenpox, lookin' all cute and cuddly with spots. She thinks she looks like a dalmatian.
This week, being the first week of school after the break, was going to be my first week back at the studio.
I spent a few hours there on Monday, the only thing accomplished was the creation of the actual habit.
It is a bit like exercising, even if I dont feel like running I will head out the door, walk, creep, crawl-as long as I am keeping the 'get-out-the-door' habit going.
So, Monday blahness, Tuesday I was all settled in, brush in hand and the school rang me. I pack up and do-what-needed-to-be-done which took most of the day. So Tuesday was a painting wipe out.
Wednesday I arrived late at the studio as I had a weight workout session. I felt very creatively low and ended up pacing the floor, doing a bit of sketching onto a canvas, scrubbing sketches off the canvas, and fiddling with the tubes of paint. Hmmm. Nothing to be gained here apart from habit.
 My mantra,'give it your best shot, take a risk, trust yourself, give it your best shot, take a risk, trust yourself, the only voice you need is the voice you already have, trust yourself', (and on and on). It was to no avail. I packed up and drove to the supermarket and sorted out dinner for everyone and after school food. Food is a much easier subject.
After picking the younger kids up from school and dropping a few off at home, I drove Paloma to ballet. I explained to her teacher that her spots were actually the result of her immunization she had five days beforehand. That's what I thought they were anyway. I read a book in the car while she was dancing, picked her up. Her spots seemed to breed at ballet and once home I chucked her in the bath and the spots had a party. Okay, I give in. Chickenpox it is. (How could I get it so wrong!) Thus, today. Thursday, my fourth day of not painting at the studio. I have cuddled the dalmatian a lot and fed her popcorn, DVDs and hot chocolate. I have done a few quality drawings and made a huge pot of vegetable stew for dinner.
I am finding it hard to stand, sit, walk, because of my work out yesterday, coupled with the pain in my legs from the big run last Saturday. Not that I'm one to complain.

5 comments:

  1. hi catherine, keep going. to the studio.
    I dont have kids at home but havent been in my studio for six weeks - illness, then buying new house with Mr Hall. Studio all in boxes. but have a show in September, so it will start Saturday or Sunday.
    Hint book your self a show in sixth months time, even in a cafe. Your painting has great vigour keep going. love leigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leigh..yep..life happens..btw..really like your new house! Okay..will book myself in for a show..it's like booking in for a race-makes you go out and train...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn life, always getting in the way!! As for the chickenpox, I need to come visit ... my last, now 8.5yo STILL hasn't had them and she's got beyond the age they all spread them around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm...yeah..everyone needs a dose of chickenpox by 5-6,..take her to hataitai school, they are going around..get her to play with the year one's...kiss a few kids, hugs etc. should do the trick...or get her immunised so you dont have to worry about it....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I simply admire this line;

    give it your best shot, take a risk, trust yourself, give it your best shot, take a risk, trust yourself, the only voice you need is the voice you already have, trust yourself',

    ReplyDelete