Monday, April 6, 2009

We live in a garage....our freezer runs off a wind turbine



Finally!, I painted Harry's bedroom...nearly black (think cave for an adolescent) with light 'sea foam' on the window wall so it isn't too bleak/dark.) I completed it in one day. Mind you it is a small room. I rearranged it for him, now all he needs is a new bed. Deane said he'd build him a loft bed.


It only seemed like yesterday when I painted it white for him, changing it from the lilac I had painted it for the girls. Before that I had painted that very same room with sunlight yellow for 'the baby'. (The baby is now eight).


Our house is beginning to look and feel like a garage. I am dispirited. There is a wind turbine on the floor below the stereo. There is a big battery, (like a car battery) on the floor near the back door which is attached to a 'sine wave inverter'. There are wires growing out of it, and one snakes into the laundry and is plugged in to our freezer. This is a good thing folks. We are experimenting with getting off the grid. As we live in Wellington (bloody windy), the appropriate method is wind turbines. I have a freezer that runs via wind.


On my beautiful (yet unfinished) concrete bench top, there stands a fridge. It is for our camper van. Deane bought it on trade me because it not only runs on electricity, but also gas. He has been fixing it and making sure it works. It does. However, it is still on my kitchen bench attached to a large gas bottle on the floor.


On top of the stereo, is a pile of tools.


The treadmill still has not gone. Deane 'sold' it to a friend over one month ago, but his wife wont let him take it home till he cleans out the garage. Which is fair enough. As she said, she doesn't want it to sit in a corner, useless and messy like it is in my house.


We have two bikes leaning on the wall beside the dining table. Next to them is a blue standing up bike pump. (Easy to use, but better in a garage...oh yeah...it is in 'the garage'). There is a windtrainer next to a lounge chair.


I'm not complaining.....or am I?

I thinketh we need to shift out of this lovely house on the hill, and move to a large house with a drive on and a double or triple garage. We all do a lot of things, so have a lot of stuff...( especially one of us...he who cannot be named.)
What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I hear what you're saying!! I don't know how many times we have the conversation "Imagine what it would be like to live on the flat - the kids could bike into a driveway, rather than lug their bikes up from the road". We also wouldn't have to apologise to couriers who arrive puffing and panting at the back door. And to have a garage with STORAGE. Imagine that! Then I look out over all those on the flat, peering over each other's paling fences, and think "nah, they can have it".

    In actual fact, I just can't bear the thought of trying to lug everything down the hill if we ever shifted!! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah..thats true...i think its a good idea to wait till one is VERY RICH then hire people to do the lugging down the steps. Go on running holiday while they are doing it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, Although I love your house and the views are spectacular, I hear what you're saying about the garage and drive on. It would be a terrible shame with your plans and everything to have to move. I really do like my 3 sheds and 3.5 acres on the side of the hills though, even though the horse gives me the shits. There is nothing like having the room to store things and do things in and I have a thing about having all my gear close to hand and in one place. I would find it hard to cope with my gear all spread out like Deane's is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah Paul...Deane finds it hard to cope with having all his 'boys' stuff spread over NewYork and New zealand. Can he put some of his shit(aka boat stuff..tools...motors...bollocks) in one of your sheds you are skiting about??? Nice to hear from you by the way....

    ReplyDelete