Monday, July 28, 2008

raw food, chicken wings, rain.

I have read a few good blogs regarding raw food, and although I know myself well enough to know I don't want to give up lentils with hot chili sauce, chickpea and roast pumpkin salad with balsamic-sun dried tomato dressing, mashed potatoes with peas squished into them (when in need of comfort), cooked mushrooms drizzled with truffle oil ETC; I understand how the raw way of eating would be good for my health and energy levels. That being so; I am munching on a piece of raw sprouted bread with organic wild bush honey. Tastes great, feels good. I am also drinking herbal tea, (jasmine).

Last night we had friends for dinner. I, not wanting to force my newly found raw food ideals on them, made Asian chicken wings (except I couldn't find organic wings so they were actually drumsticks). The drumsticks were marinated in coconut cream blended with fish sauce, sambal orlak, spring onion, and a wee bit o' sugar. That was served with ginger rice -which was basmati chucked into a pot where onion, garlic and fresh ginger had been cooked till soft, chicken stock thrown in, lid on and left to do it's thing. Very tasty...

I don't eat meat however, so I also made some tomato lentils for me and chickpea and roast pumpkin salad which is so delicious I will give you the recipe. Its really simple and even the fussy young ones like it.



Roast Pumpkin and Chickpea Salad with sun dried tomato dressing.



salad:


  • half a medium crown pumpkin peeled and cubed.

  • olive oil.

  • chickpeas, 1-2 cans or 1 cup soaked overnight.

  • 2 Tblsp finely shredded coriander or mint.


  • Dressing.

  • half cup sun dried tomatoes.

  • quarter cup red wine vinegar.

  • 3 cloves garlic.

  • 1 Tblsp balsamic vinegar.

  • half cup olive oil

  • 1 tsp sugar

  • s & p


  • Preheat oven to 190c.

  • Toss pumpkin cubes in a little oil and roast for 35-40mins.

  • cool.

  • Drain chickpeas from soaking water and rinse.

  • Place into a large saucepan and cover with fresh water.

  • Boil for 40-50mins or until tender. OR:

  • Open cans of chickpeas an rinse.

  • Heat red wine vinegar and sundried tomatoes together, allow tomatoes to soak in the hot vinegar to soften.

  • Place all dressing ingredients into the bowl of a food processor, and combine.

  • Toss Pumpkin and chick peas in dressing. Garnish with mint or coriander.

  • Eat.

I had also baked fresh organic rye fougasse which everyone ate practically hot from the oven. The house smelt yummy. Our guests had made a wonderful cake, full of dates and other moist stuff- god knows what the hell it was , but it was my downfall. I ate mine, then I finished off Deanes.

I am now (nearly) intent on following the raw food diet. I dont like the word 'diet'. It brings back memories of my younger self starving - on yet another false promise of eternal 'thin-ness' then blowing it all on the promise of a 'good time' in the form of chocolate, chocolate alias sugar/fat.

Anyhoo! Tonight for dinner I had brown rice (not raw-boohoo), greek salad and lots of raw red onion. So Im not there yet but 'raw' is in my head. So...it will happen.

Weather wise; we have had so much rain even I am looking forward to summer. The kids soccor practice and games have been cancelled continuously for about four weeks because the city sports grounds turn to mud.

roll on raw food. roll on summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment