Sunday, June 29, 2008

Drew turns twelve.

From three p.m yesterday afternoon, the house has been full with the usual inhabitants, plus, six extra twelve year old girls.
It was Drews twelth birthday and she celebrated with a late afternoon Hells Pizza party, quickly followed by a store bought thickly coated-in-chocolate butter-icing cake. After the song-singing,and cake eating, the party migrated quickly to the downstairs area, (still noisy), where they consumed chocolate, assorted lollies, chips, apple juice and crackers and dip. They screamed, laughed, teased the younger kids and seemed to enjoy creating havoc.
Eventually, I organised them into the car, (no mean feat). We left Deane and the younger kids alone, in relative peace.
On parking the car, the twelve year olds tumbled out,giggling and yabbering. They flitted into Glassons, and Banks Shoes before chattering their way into the movie complex. Drew had been insistant on seeing a particular movie, The Zohan, or something like that. I sat about five rows behind the girls, who kept yelling " thats our Mother! Hi mum!" etc. I hunkered down in my seat. I spent the next two hours trying to stay awake during one of the most tedious, crotch shot movies I've seen. (Piglets big adventure was maybe a tad more boring..).
Afterward, I dropped a few girls off to their homes and then to the dvd shop, where the three sleep -over girls chose one each. I was pretty tired (of them) by this time and eagerly guided them home, settled them down stairs, told them I didnt want to hear from them. Deane and I went to bed.

I woke the next morning to a famous Wellington southerly. The rain was pelting sideways, it was gusting up to 120k.
I LOVE it.
Harry, (my ten year old) and I scuttled out into the dim light of the early morning storm to do our Sunday morning market gig. We negotioted the 135 slippery steps, and ran to the car. Heater on, we drove into town, and secured a park. Unfortunately, due to the storm, the market was only just coming to life. The trucks were still being unloaded, the fruit and vegetables still being set up. Nothing was ready. I decided we should fight our way to the marina side cafe's and see if anyone was open. (Harry was blown down, in a particulary wild gust, he weighs in at about 35 kilos..). Alas! No luck, so, no coffee.

We were shooed back to the car by the wind. We waited.
Eventually, after loading fruit and vege into car, a drive around Lyall Bay to see the extent of the storm, a coffee, a slightly warm, buttery pain-au-chocolat, Harry and I were home.

The girls still were not up. I remedied that and had them sitting at the breakfast bar, bleary with fatigue and chocolate overdose. Deane made them pancakes smothered in maples syrup, cream and sugar.
The house returned to normal by about 1pm, the weather still hasnt.

The storm made the six p.m news. It had grounded airplanes, stopped the interislander, and created floods.
I love Wellington on a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment